You may want to drive yourself in China, but your home country's driver license is not recognized. You need to change it into Chinese driver’s license first. It seems that it is very difficult for a foreigner to get a Chinese driver’s license. However, the process to get a Chinese Driver’slicense is fairly straight forward. If you have a residence permit in Xi’an, you can just follow the following steps to apply for a Chinese driver’s license. If you live outside of the Xi'an city area, these procedures will need to be slightly modified as explained below.
- Foreign driver’s license and a copy of both sides onto one page (Official Chinese translation required)
- Passport and a copy of your passport information (photo) page (Official Chinese translation required)
- Pass a driver health examination and get the relevant certificate(Valid within 6 months)
If you don't live within Xi'an city, you will need to do the health check at the clinic/hospital designated by your local Traffic Police (Motor Vehicle/Driver license office).
- Residence permit certificate issued by your local exit/entry PSB and a copy there of (validity of 3 months or more)
- Accommodation registration certificate issued by the public security authority.
This is a copy of the form that is stamped by the Exit/Entry PSB where you are living that shows your address. It is the address on this form that will determine which motor vehicle/drivers license office you can apply at.
- Four 1-inch tall by 3/4 inch wide color photos with white background. - Usually you can obtain these from a shop right next to or nearby the Traffic Police/Motor Vehicle/Driver License office.
- Translate your passport information page and foreign drivers license.
You need to translate them via the official licensed translation company authorized by the DMV. It means you have to be careful about wasting money on translation companies which are not recognized.
- Go to the hospital - [ONLY IF YOU LIVE INSIDE XI'AN - If you live outside of Xi'an you will need to go to the hospital/clinic designated by your local Traffic Police/MotorVehicle/Drivers License office.]
There are hospitals recognized by the DMV to do the driver license’s healthcheck for Xi'an residents ONLY. However, the process is pretty much the same no matter where you live or the clinic. They need your height and weight. They will have you stretch above your head; touch the back of your head with each hand one at a time; then see how far you can bend over while standing; then they will have you squat and stand.
Afterwards, they will check your vision with an eye chart (which way is the"E" facing -- left, right, up or down) Also, you will do a color recognition/color blindness test. This is where they show you a book with images in contrasting colors, and you have to tell them what the numbers that you see. Also, the "trace the colored line" test is given. If you have ever done an eye test before you will recognize this book.
The price for this is usually between 45 and 60 yuan depending on where you live and the facility.
The permitted hospitals and their addresses are as follows (FOR XI'AN RESIDENTS ONLY)
西安市驾驶员体检联网医院drivers license Hospitals
|医院名称 NAME||地址 ADDRESS||电话TEL.|
- Get the accommodation registration certificate from the public security authority
This is the form you got from the police office (Exit/Entry PSB) when you registered upon your arrival in Xi’an (or where you live); your company is supposed to have a copy of this form. This form is a full page form and titled "Application for registration of Foreign Resident".
- Reserve a test.
Take all your documents to Vehicle Administration, Xi'an has four Vehicle Administrations that works for foreigners .
Attention: If your residence permit was not in Xi’an you need go to your city’s Traffic Police/MotorVehicle/Driver License office.
NOTE: When you reserve your test, you MUST CLEARLY indicate that you want the ENGLISH or other language examination.
- Study for the drivers license theory test then take the exam on test day.
The Driver License exam in China is mostly logical, but may not follow all of the rules you are used to from your home country. You must have a 90% to pass the exam. If you go to www.chinesedrivingtest.com you will find practice exams available along with other helpful information. The website's questions are almost identical to the actual examination.
- Get your driver license.
we do services for foreingers' driving license in xi'an, please ass wechat:450678609 if you are interested in.
Please search humansofxian under "official accounts" on your wechat and follow us to find many other useful tidbits that will help your transition to living and working in Xian easier!